Monday, January 26, 2009

The Day Has Come

Well, today is the day. The ticket is purchased, passport and visa are in hand, the bags are packed, my goodbyes are said and just a few short hours I will board a plane only to be changed forever.

As I think about this day ahead of me and all that has lead up to it my mind is flooded with special people that have held my hand and helped me get here. I know I can’t possibly mention everyone that God has weaved in and out of this journey, thus far, but I am going to try.

I think about my youth pastor from High School, Matthew and Lori Munn. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that God used Matthew and Lori’s hearts for mission to steer my heart in the same direction. It was because of Matthew’s inexpressible joy, passion and longing for the lost nations to know God that I too have become passionate about the same thing. Matthew and Lori thank you for your zeal for the Lord and His people. Thank you for the investment that you have made in my life. I am forever grateful.

I think about my Mission professor at Grace, Dr. Peugh. The countless hours that I sat in his classes learning about God’s heart for the nations and the countless times he prayed over me and with me seeking the Lord’s will, together with me, for what China might look like in my life. He was always there to give me advice whether it was what I wanted to hear or not. Thank you for guiding me these past few years in what many times seemed like a dark and lonely path. You gave me wisdom when many times others couldn’t

I think about my friends. I have the most amazing friends! They listened to me in the beginning stages when this dream seemed crazy! They helped me keep my head out of the clouds on all the many days I was ready to buy a plane ticket and just get up and go, they cried with me on the days when this heavy heart was too much to bear alone, and they are now rejoicing with me as I begin to live out my dream. Thank you girls for being the best friends I could ever ask for!

I think about my mentors Brad and Amy. When you met me 9 years ago I don’t think you ever could have imagined the journey that you were in for. Thank you for sticking by me through thick and thin. Thank you for praying for me and speaking truth and love into my life time after time. I could never begin to express to you how thankful I am for your influence on my life and how grateful I am to know you.

I think about my China girl, Xin Yue. God used you in my life in more ways than I can even understand at this point. You are an angel. Know there hasn’t been a day since I left you that I haven’t thought about you, longed for you and dreamed for the day I would hold you in my arms again. You grew my heat to love the orphans even more than I already did. I love you sweet girl.

I think about my family. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, brothers and sisters. You guys are amazing! I love you more than words could describe. Your never ending love for me is such a gift. I know at times my dreams probably seemed crazy but you never outwardly questioned me you only kept loving me and encouraging me. Thank you for being you!

I think about my parents. Mom and dad there are not enough words in the dictionary to express my gratitude and love for you. Thank you for raising me to Love the Lord with all my Heart, Soul and Mind. Thank you for instilling Christian morals in me. Thank you for walking with me on this dream each step of the way and always being there with a listening ear and loving arms. Thank you for letting me Go! Thank you for knowing that God loves me even more than I do and thank you for, on this day, trusting Him to take me half way around the world. I will miss you terribly but know in YOUR hearts that it is because of YOU that I am able to walk out this calling the Lord has given me. Every minute of everyday of your training and loving and praying for me has prepared me for this moment and time in my life. I love you!

My Great and Might God You are EVERYTHING to me! Thank you for saving me. Thank you for opening the ears of my heart to hear you and answer your call when you rescued me so many years ago. Thank you for this mission that you have laid before me. Thank you for enabling me and giving me everything I need; I have the strength, peace, and courage to walk forward with this calling because I know that it’s not my calling its really yours! And I know that just like you have held me for the past 23 years you will continue to hold me right in the palm of your hand. Thank you for the PRIVILEDGE of SERVING YOU!!!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Sounds good. 2 hours to go and you board your flight to our end of the world. Oooooo, Matthew

Matthew said...

OH Alyssa,
Thank you for your comments about Matthew and me. It was our pleasure to be a part of your life. I'll never forget those words you said to me when you first joined youth group.." I don't want to grow-up, I want to live with my parents for ever". Now look at you! Leaving the nest and living in China and taking care of orphans. I am so excited for you and proud of who you've become. You are a mighty woman of God. Thank you for listen to your heart and God's calling in your life. What a testiment to your Parents and how they raise you! Only tears of joy today!
I love you,
Lori

Amy said...

I am laughing at Lori talking about how you didn't want to grow up. I remember how scared you were when you got your lisence. You thought it was CRAZY that they gave someone so young a lisence to drive a car. :) Oh girl, how far the Lord God Almighty has brought you, and the amazing thing is...we ain't seen nothing yet! You are just hours away from being home in China! Cannot wait to follow your new life with Jesus there. hug sweet Chelsea and Bethany. Praying that you will see Xin Yue very soon. let's get that girl home!!!!! Oh, a thought, what if that is part of His plan in taking you back??? You can really advocate for her. Maybe she could even come to Hidden Treasures!!!! Oh...God will be HUGE in that situation, I know it.

love you!

Brad Arnold said...

you are a truly amazing young woman of God. we are so proud of you and your obedience. wow! we are grateful to experience this alongside you. thanks for sharing it with us.