Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's the small things...

A few weeks ago my friend asked me "what are you going to miss the most about America?" As I thought about it the first thing that came to my mind was the conveniences of the USA. I was thinking about all of the things that are easily done here that I take for granted. Somethings can take twice or even three times as long in other countries. And while this is true, I will miss the "easiness" of America, the more I thought about this question the more I realized that what I will miss the most is the small everyday moments of being with those I love.

- Over Christmas break I was rocking my nephew Mason to sleep and it dawned on me that there was a good chance that would be my last time to ever rock him sleep. I will miss watching these babies grow up!





- I will miss Clare, Chloe and I's "girl band" that we have every day on the way home from school




- I will miss walking in the door after a long of day of work and my dog Essy being right there at my feet so excited to see me.




- I will miss being able to just hop in the car for a weekend visit with my friends






- I will miss my sweet little preschoolers who, I'm pretty sure, teach me more about life than I teach them



- I will miss laughing with my brother and sisters about our inside jokes.


- I will miss my parents and the love and comfort I feel from being in their presence



There are so many everyday moments that I have taken for granted all of my life. In the past weeks as I have been preparing for China God has opened my eyes to the fact that I won't get to experience all of these things on a daily basis, like I do now. While this thought makes me so sad God has also opened my eyes to the fact that there is a whole new kind of everyday moments that are about to begin. Moments with the kids I am going to serve, moments with the brothers and sisters in Christ that I will be serving with, moments with Him. There is so much that is going to take place in these next 24 months. And while I am sad to leave these times behind I am excited to embark on this next adventure...

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm praying for you Alyssa! Just think of the moments you will also be giving these precious children - moments of feeling loved and cherished, moments of feeling safe, moments of feeling special.... It makes my heart so happy that you will be giving them some of the kinds of moments you have been blessed with in America! Much love!
~Jenna

Matthew said...

Yes, you do miss these moments very much at different times and in various ways...but, God does provide and brings special people into your lives to make it easier. And just knowing the real reason why you are there and focusing on God's will and purpose fills the void. WE understand all that you will be experiencing and are excited for you. We aren't that far away!!! Come visit us for Christmas:) Love you, Lori

Amy said...

You sweet thing! How my heart aches with you over the "missed" things of life as you know it now, BUT...as we know how God will take you to places of rich blessing within this place of obedience that will outweigh these aches. How I love you so, and feel so privleged to be on this journey with you.

Isaiah 1
17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

18 "Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

19 If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the best from the land;

Queenie said...

Miss Garvin, I don't even really know you, but I am so proud of the decisions you have been making to follow the specific call of God on your life, both at the school where you work and in your journey toward China. Thank you SO much for being a wonderful role model for my son Nathaniel (he's in your class) of someone who loves the Lord enough to give up all that is comfortable for the adventure of following Him radically. I know he will bless you so richly. We will be praying for you.
Sincerely,
Gina R.

Kristi said...

We are praying for you as you approach the beginning of this leg of "the journey." Can't wait to read about your experiences as you encounter God and his perfect works in incredible ways!

In Him
-k

Ellyce said...

Oh Alyssa.... your "I will miss"es are so profound. The Lord has opened your eyes to how He has blessed you and that is WONDERFUL. I'm grateful that He has opened your eyes to the lives of these precious children whom you will serve. I'm grateful that you have answered HIS call, and that you are following HIM in to the harvest, which is truly plentiful!!! GOD WILL BLESS YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER ASK OR EVEN THINK!!! Luv you! Aunt Ellyce