Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Visit to the Chinese Consulate


Today was interesting. I woke up excited and enthusiastic! I was headed to Chicago to file for my Chinese Visa. My mom, Milly, and Alyssa (my friend) all came with me. Since the Consulate is open from 9-12 and 1-2:30 we left around 8:30 this morning anticipating a smooth, easy going day hoping to arrive around 11:)
When approaching the city, still on the highway, we were dumped off the highway due to a unmarked T in the road. We found ourself smack dab in the middle of the city, although we still had a few more miles to go on the highway. We tried to manuver our way through the crowded streets, full of people. After an hour of trying to find our way we spotted a rainforest cafe and decided to take a break and get some lunch.

If you have never been to Rainforest Cafe it is an adveture. SO much fun!!! We enjoyed a good lunch with safari food and even a few rainforest thunderstorms. After we finished lunch we rushed back to the parking garage so that we could get to our car before the price went up $10.00. We made it! Phew!!!

We finally located what we thought was the consulate. My Mom dropped Alyssa, Milly, and me off at the building (she was going to drive around and then come back to get us so we didnt have to park the car again). When I walked up to the door I found that it was locked. I was thinking "oh my gosh you have gotta be kidding me after all this hassle they are closed!!!" I then noticed that there was a call button to the left of the door. I pushed this button and found an english speaking chinese woman with a VERY thick accent. After living in China for 4 months I feel like I got pretty good at understanding this accent but I was having NO luck with this lady. With the help of Milly we finally figured out that we needed to turn around and walk 3 blocksW and it would be on our right hand side. So 3 blocksW we began. And what do you know there it was!

We walked inside and asked in the lobby if that was where the Chinese Consulate Visa office was. He told us to go to the 5th floor. We got on the elevator and rode our way up. When we entered the office I took a number and waited patiently for my turn. Meanwhile I decided to make a copy of my Visa application and of my passport since I was about to hand it over to some stranger that I didn't know. Well, me a stupid American couldn't get the copy machine to work. So a chinese kid helped me figure it out!

Next thing I knew my number was being called. I walked up to the counter extatic at how quickly I had been called. I handed her my application, my photo and my passport. She looked it over and said:
Consulate Lady: come back on tuesday. pick up
Me: oh. I need you to mail it to me.
Consulate Lady: pick up on Tuesday.
Me: I really needed it mailed.
Consulate Lady: you need money order
Me: okay where do I get that

Consulate Lady: Post office!

Me: Where is the post office? (she just kept pointing out the window and saying post office.)
Me: I stood there waiting, expecting to get a recepeipt
Consulate Lady: POST OFFICE!!!
So.... we left the left the building, asked for directions and headed to the post office. Did I
mention that it is almost 2:00 at this point and they close at 2:30! Yea i was starting to freak out a little! When we entered the post office there was a line of probably 10-15 people. I finally got to the front of the line and the first lady I went to told me she couldn't do money orders. So i had to go back to the line and wait for the next clerk. When I got to her I purchased a money order and a prepaid envelope. I paid and we took off running the 3 blocks back to the Consulate. We got in the elevator... got off at the wrong floor! Got back in the elevator... arrived at the right floor. I went up to the counter to give her my money order and envelope. She looked it over and said
Consulate Lady: You need "To" and "From"
Me: I did fill in the "To" the (address spot)
Consulate Lady: NO "To" and "From"
Me: Okay what is your address?
Consulate Lady: No! you "To" and "From"
Me: You want me to use my name and address in both places?
Consulate Lady: Yes!


I finished filling out the envelope, she gave me my receipt and told me they would mail the visa on Tuesday. I got my things and was outta there! By the way they were closing the doors right as we were walking out!
Whewwww that was a close one! What an ordeal. Our day was anything but smooth and easy going. That is for sure! I had good company though and we managed to have a good time amidst all the stress :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh how I can relate! Wish I would have told you about my trip there. It would have saved you some trouble, but in the end, it makes for a good story. :) My dad and I had a similar crazy experience...you go post office!!! It only 2 block!!! You be back!

Kathy said...

Praising God!! I am so excited for you! We will be praying for you! Grant will no doubt be missing you at school, though. :) Can't wait to hear more updates!

Kathy Lipic

Unknown said...

What a story! I think it was God's way of giving you some practice at communicating with Chinese folks and jumping through the hoops they require. We are so thrilled that you are listening to His call. Danielle will really miss you, though. We'll let her read this blog and keep in touch... I think you've already inspired her. She keeps telling us that she and her sister are "going to grow up and go on a call to China." I can't wait to see where God calls her to go!!!