Saturday, September 1, 2007

Well I have a few minutes of unoccupied time so I thought I would post an update. Thing are going great here. We had our first quiz in our Chinese class yesterday. It went pretty well. The language is just really hard to learn. It is a tonal language so that means that you could be saying the correct word but if you change the tone of it you are saying something completely different. That has been a big struggle for me. I know it will take time and eventually I will get it but right now its kind of frustrating.

We have learned how to order our own food so thats kinda fun. I have tried a lot of different things including frog. I know it sounds horrible but it really tasted pretty good. Kinda like chicken! haha! My new thing is I just dont ask what anything is till after I eat it. This way I can decide if I really like stuff or if I just say I dont like because it sounds gross.

We officially start classes tomorrow. It will be hard adjusting to a new campus, new profs and new classes but hopefully it will go smoothely.

Everyone in my group is great. I have loved getting to know everyone and spending time with them.

Yesterday me and 5 other girls went out to a chinese restaurant for lunch and out of the 6 of us that ordered only 2 of us got our food. They were trying to tell us that they didnt have what we ordered but we didnt understand that thats what they were saying till after the food never came. It was pretty funny!

It weather is very hot here. I dont really know what the temperature is but I would guess in the high 90s to low100s. Its also very humid! The Beach is beautiful though. As soon as I get internet in my room I will post some pictures. It truely is gorgeous here.

So far the hardest things to get used to are the beds and the showers. I'll start with the beds. There really is no mattress! Its pretty much like sleeping on just a box spring. So far it hasnt been horrible just because I am so exhausted at night time but I wonder as time goes on if it will become more uncomfertable. Maybe I will just get used to it and it wont even be a big deal :)
Now the showers. Its a little wierd becuase actually there is no shower its just a shower head! The bath room has a toilet, a sink and a showerhead. So whenever you take a shower you just have to make sure that everything is out of the bathroom other wise it will get wet. Also, you have to turn a switch next to the shower head in order to get hot water. For 5 days now me and my roommate thought that our hot water wasnt working but last night we discovered that all we had to do was flip the switch! We felt a little stupid haha!

Another thing thats crazy is how cheap everything is. Most of the time when you go out to eat its only about 7-10 yuan which is the equivalent of about $1.00- $1.25

This morning we had a great church service. We read through the sermon on the mount and then we sang some praise songs and prayed together. It was incredible to be praying and praising God here in this beloved country of China! Its has been amazing to be here but being here and being in the presence of God like that was just a beautiful thing.It was a church service that I will not soon forget!

Well I need to get going. I will write more later in the week once classes are going!
Thank you everyone for your prayer and support! I really apprecat it!

2 comments:

Oliver and Chloe said...

Hi Alyssa

Oliver and Chloe said...

Hi Alyssa..Glad to hear about your language...good luck on your first day of school...it is hot here too!! lots of lightening right now..your shower is like a shower on the boat...thats fun..from oliver and chloe